Paper and Forest Procurement Policy
Our policy is intended to ensure that Hasbro’s procurement decisions align with our commitment to environmental sustainability, protect Endangered Forests, support sustainable forest management, inform suppliers of our expectations, and achieve our environmental sustainability goals.
- Hasbro expects all suppliers of forest products to demonstrate compliance with all applicable international and national legal requirements for forest management, harvest, manufacturing and trade.
- If a supplier is sourcing wood products from areas determined to be high risk for illegal forest management practices and trade, third party verification of legality shall be obtained. Credible certification may also provide a means for Verification of Legality.
- Over time, Hasbro expects its suppliers to become credibly certified and supply credibly certified wood products. If credibly certified wood products are not available, as an interim measure, suppliers must maintain chain of custody documentation of the origin of wood products and must continue to do so until credibly certified supplies are developed. We reserve the right at any time to request Verification of Legality.
- No sources of Mixed Tropical Hardwood (MTH) virgin fiber shall be used in Hasbro products, including packaging. However, it is recognized that some MTH fiber may be present in recycled paper which is acceptable under the terms of this policy.
- Forest products that originate from High Conservation Value Forests (HCVFs) shall not be purchased unless these operations are credibly certified.
- Forest products that originate from Controversial Sources shall not be purchased.
- Forest products that are manufactured without chlorine are preferred (e.g., “processed chlorine free” or PCF for recycled products or “totally chlorine free” or TCF for virgin products).
- Hasbro expects suppliers to source recycled paper with as much post-consumer recycled content as practical and viable. A minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled content is preferred.
- Hasbro will conduct audits in the form of random testing of paper from high risk regions to ensure compliance with policy requirements. The supply chain review will follow the guidelines set by The Global Forest & Trade Network (GFTN) Guide to Legal and Responsible Sourcing. If a supplier is not in compliance with any applicable provisions of this policy, Hasbro will take appropriate corrective action to address such non-compliance, up to and including termination.
- Hasbro will publicly report bi-annually on progress made to achieve goals under this policy, including a break-down of sustainable fiber types based on testing conducted under this policy. Additionally, we will regularly review this policy and targets to ensure it is appropriately updated to reflect any material changes in sustainable forest management.
- At least 90 percent of paperboard packaging and in-box game content will be derived from recycled material or sources that practice sustainable forest management